Biologist says North Dakota, South Dakota Dry

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
webfoot
Duck South Addict

Postby webfoot » Mon May 30, 2005 3:33 pm

A U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist says there is less water in North Dakota and South Dakota than last year, but the effect on waterfowl is not yet known.

"Quite possibly, South Dakota was as dry as I've seen it since the early 1990s," said John Solberg, who spent three weeks flying over the two states.

"Overall, I'd say North Dakota was fair - some areas poor, some areas good," he said. "I've seen it worse, but I've seen it a whole lot better, too."

Solberg, who wrapped up the survey Thursday, has been flying over the two states since May 4 as part of the annual North American spring waterfowl survey, an effort in which northern U.S. and Canadian biologists sample waterfowl and habitat conditions.

Managers across North America's four waterfowl flyways use the results from the survey to set fall hunting seasons.

As part of the Dakotas leg of the survey, Solberg and another observer flew 260 18-mile segments north and east of the Missouri River in the two states, counting all the ducks they could see. A crew on the ground surveyed a subsample of the segments.

Solberg said the dry conditions in South Dakota likely attracted fewer nesting ducks this year. In North Dakota, the eastern and northeastern parts of the state have the best water, he said.

"In North Dakota, I would say wetland conditions are in better shape than South Dakota," Solberg said. "But I would say they're nothing to write home about."

Final survey results should be available sometime in June.
"We face the question whether a still higher standard of living is worth its costs in things natural, wild, and free." - Aldo Leopold
Ducks be us
Duck South Addict

Postby Ducks be us » Mon May 30, 2005 3:54 pm

Man, that sux...Ive seen more dux up there in 2 days than Ive seen in the delta in 2 years...Hope the ones I let live last year find a home, so, the boy and I can shoot a few more this season :wink: Y'all have a nice day! 8)
"You get what you put in and people get what they deserve..." Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
mallardhunter
Veteran

Postby mallardhunter » Tue May 31, 2005 9:54 am

Will Duck Hunt For Food.
Have You Called Your Duck Today?
Read "The Third Terrorist" by Jayna Davis
webfoot
Duck South Addict

Postby webfoot » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:28 pm

Recent rains might help the broods, but some reports that I have received is that we are lagging behind last year. The duck production in the Great Lake Region help out last year and the year before. It is a wait and see.
"We face the question whether a still higher standard of living is worth its costs in things natural, wild, and free." - Aldo Leopold
RIP EM
Duck South Addict

Postby RIP EM » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:50 am

Think about it !...... When is the last time you ever heard them say,...."WELL,... WE GOT PLENTY "O" WATER IN THE DAKOTAS, THIS YEAR" ! "EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD" !

Clue : NEVER ! :D

THINK I'LL DUCK HUNT, THIS YEAR ANYHOW !

WHO'S WITH ME ????? :D

Rip Em !
OFFSEASON ?,..... Ain't no such thing !
waterbug
Duck South Addict
Location: Brandon, MS --- which is the 3rd ring of Saturn right next to Uranus

Postby waterbug » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:59 am

Have waterhose -- will travel!
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:59 pm

"Ya ever work beef Billy?"