Vivint- home alarm

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Vivint- home alarm

Postby ScottyLee » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 am

i know it's been discussed at length before on here about how pushy these door to door salesmen are. they are marketing the NE portion of the state right now. just a heads up.

on a side note, very very few good reviews from individuals who have encountered them so far.
turkeyman
Duck South Addict

Re: Vivint- home alarm

Postby turkeyman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:25 am

I have it and love mine. Guy was very nice and not pushy at all.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:35 am

If you get the motion camera for your living don't forget it keeps the videos on the device for a certain amount of time. We don't have one but our friends do. Was looking at the system because my wife wants to get it and I seen some things in those videos that I'm sure they would have rather kept private. And I don't like those pushy bastages. They go around asking about your neighbors names and when they'll be home and stuff they didn't need to know. Now the system is ok it seems. Had one friend get it and then decide to return it. They were rough on his house taking the equipment out. They took the original front door deadbolt with them when they swapped it out for theirs. When they took theirs out they told him he was SOL as they couldn't find his old one. So they left him without a deadbolt on the front door. Tread carefully with them.
YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44 am

I made the mistake of being civil and listening to the salesman in our neighborhood the other day. I told him I'd think about it. He didn't like that. I should have just slammed the door on him. Ridiculously pushy.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:47 am

the problem with most of these types of systems is security... If "I" gain access to your network via modem/router through public IP then it's all gravy from there. Most of these companies aren't incorporating adequate steps into securing the device from being penetrated and controlled from anywhere in the globe.

I love technology but I also know it's vulnerabilities and due to that reason I would not have a security system linked into my internet.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
js
Veteran

Postby js » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:57 pm

They are defiantly pushy a salesman tried to come in the house with my wife the other day until my chessie came around the corner he couldn't get the door closed fast enough I wish I could have been there to see it.
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Postby BucksandDucks » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:23 pm

---"The fool that drinks to drown his sorrows, ought to be told that sorrow knows how to swim" - unknown

HRCH Choctaw's Diamond Bailey SH
HRCH Nature's Fierce Firestorm
pic-n-cut
Veteran

Postby pic-n-cut » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Look at Simplysafe before you make your final decision. I have one of each. If I had to do it over again Simplysafe would get my vote.
OOOOooooooooooo--------#hit
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:37 pm

They were known by another name 3 or 4 years ago. They hit up my in-laws and called us over that night to look at it. I asked for the contract she signed and once I started explaining some of the crap in it she was ticked. I got them out of it using the 3 day right of rescission law that I sent overnight via certified mail. They have been to my house every Summer since. I know who they are as soon as I open the door and don't even let them start. Just a few of the things I didn't like in the contract; if the house sold they were still on the hook and if they wished to cancel at maturity there was a 90 day window to do so. That 90 day window ends several months before the contract matures. Most folks who want to cancel something at maturity start thinking about it 2 or 3 months prior to maturity. The window has closed by that time. I also thought it was really slick that a truck just happened to be in the neighborhood and had them hooked up in less than 30 minutes. The equipment was cheap Chinese junk and not good stuff like Honeywell.

To anyone considering I would advise not to let them push you into it. In fact that's good advice no matter what a door to door salesman is pushing. Read up on all the good and bad and then made your decision. Also remember that there is a 3 day right of rescission for anything where a salesman comes to your home. Send the letter overnight with signature required. Don't rely on the friendly operator who says that it's no problem, they will cancel it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Oh yeah, forgot something. When the friendly installer came back to retrieve the equipment he wasn't as friendly. He basically just jerked it off the wall. That had to be repaired which really ticked me off because I was the one who had to fix it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:22 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Crap on somebody coming to my door to sell me something. I know if I need something. When I need something I will go buy one. We had the little fellow, laminated ID and all show a few weeks back. I had to break it down for him.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 am

Just bought a house in Clinton and the couple that had the house before us had one of these systems installed. I've only been in the house a few days so I haven't had time to swap it over yet but was doing a little research online and saw where there are a lot of negative reviews. But glad we didn't have to deal with any pushy salesman like some on here and other folks I've seen.

Seeing this thread also has me worried about dealing with them in the future and the fact that they may have a little more access than they should possibly (edub20's post). Also read where in some cases, they don't have anyone who calls or checks on you if the alarm is activated. Not sure if they are supposed to provide this service or not but I want somebody to at least be checking if something happens and the alarm goes off. The whole system seems expensive to me too. I would just assume have someone like ADT where you know someone is checking up on you and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg every month.

Any thoughts?
SHERMANATOR
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:44 pm

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”