That makes 2

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bigbear
Regular

That makes 2

Postby bigbear » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:33 am

Well, I got another turkey this Sunday morning. Drove for 45 minutes, waited in the dark for 1 hr, walked for 45 minutes, called for 5 minutes, hunt was over. That makes 5 hunts that my buddy and I have been on together, and we have killed 4 birds. Could it get any better this year. This is unbelievable. We went 2 years only killing one bird. Now this year we have killed 4. I guess it was time. Crappy dove, deer, and really crappy duck season, only makes sense to have a good turkey season.
BTW - 11" beard, 1.25 inch spurs, and 19 pounds. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

That makes 2

Postby vicksburg » Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:13 am

Good bird. Congrats!
Hammer
Veteran

That makes 2

Postby Hammer » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:14 pm

Good job BigBear...I'm not too far behind you...I've been 4 times and bagged a nice one- a 21#, 11 inch beard, 1 1/8 spurred trophy gobbler with some white in his fan feathers which they tell me is the sign of an old gobbler...

I had been on the turkey 2 other hunts but he always got henned up and went away from me...This time I was able to call the hens to me...I watched him strut for 2 hours before I got a shot at him...I heard him drum 3 times during those 2 hours...

That was last Wednesday and I haven't been since but now that the time has changed I'll go a little bit mroe often since I dont have to get up so early- if the weather will cooperate...Good luck on your 3rd bird.

HAMMER

Funny how it goes in cycles...I hunted harder last year than ever and only got one...The year before I did not hunt much and got three...
bigbear
Regular

That makes 2

Postby bigbear » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:01 pm

Thanks guys.
I have been very pleased with my season so far. The guys at the camp couldn't believe it. There had only been four birds killed there this year before mine. None were near as good as mine. Some of the guys had been hunting have hunted there almost every day and not done any good. That was my first trip up there this year! It's all about the right spot. Some of the guys are going where they saw turkeys during deer season and where they are seeing some hen tracks. I go to the areas that produced last year and were productive for big birds before. Alot of people will not hunt where I do because you can't drive within 100 yards of where you hunt. All I can say is WALK!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Big Lou
Veteran

That makes 2

Postby Big Lou » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:29 am

Great News BigBear! I knew you would find them! Did you have to wear your hip boots to get back where we were talking about? When are you going again?
bigbear
Regular

That makes 2

Postby bigbear » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:06 am

Big Lou, thanks for the congrat. If I don't go to Gloster this weekend, I will go again sometime this weekend. We need to get together and go! We didn't kill that bird where you and I talked about. Didn't hear anything there. Walked way down to around 33 or 32. Can't remember exactly. I hope to have some pictures of both birds posted by Friday. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Big Lou
Veteran

That makes 2

Postby Big Lou » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:25 am

BigBear, call me when you want to go. I need someone to sow me how this works.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”