Question for you turkey hunters

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jstanard
Regular

Postby jstanard » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:04 am

A friend and I are just starting out this year and we're learning as we go. We've only been twice, but both times we've seen birds and worked gobblers close, but so far not close enough to close the deal.

How long should I remain in one place trying to convince a gobbler to come to me? Both times, the birds seemed to hang up just out of sight (probably around 75 yards). On the first hunt, we set up and didn't move until the birds stopped gobbling after about 45 minutes. The second hunt, we set up and stayed about 30 minutes before we split up and tried to approach the gobblers from opposite sides. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions???
bigbear
Regular

Postby bigbear » Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:50 pm

A tactic that has worked for me in the past is, if you have a hunting partner, get him to first try calling behind you facing the other direction. Then try scratching the leaves a little. If you can tell that he is still out there and can't see you, have your partner get up and move away from you (directly behind you about 30 yards) Alot of times they will come on in if they think the hen is leaving. If he absolutely will not come in, after he leaves, get up and find out if there is a physical barrier between you (creek, river, sleugh, fence) turkeys are hard to call across these things sometimes.
Hope this helps. There are alot of tactics that work if you have a partner that can call.
duckhuntalot
Veteran

Postby duckhuntalot » Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:45 pm

Everything Bigbear said works.

Also, don't fall for the gobbler calls. If you don't have a dominant gobbler in the area you will most likely scare off the interested bird.

I have also found that no calling at all (after having gained the bosses interest for a few minutes) will intice him even more.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:47 pm

Patience is critical. Many times, you will think that the silent gobbler is gone, but he is right where you last heard him. To illustrate, last Thursday, I was on my way out of the woods when a hen yelped back at me. Thinking that she just might have a gobbler trailing along, I responded and sat down. I gave her a few cutts and yelps to agitate her as she rapidly came my way. The hen approached to within twenty feet, and sure enough, she had a gobbler with her, strutting silently. The whole thing happened so fast that I didn't have time to put a decoy out. For one solid hour, I had this gobbler strutting directly in front of me at fifty yards, too far to risk a shot. He didn't move ten feet in any direction the whole time, and the hen eased around behind me. I hoped that he would eventually come over to check things out, but instead, the hen returned to him and led him away. In retrospect, I wonder if the decoy would have made a difference, because they often do. It could have just as easily happened that the gobbler did come my way, and since he never made one sound from start to finish, I would not have known he was there if I wasn't lokking at him. I am a big believer in staying put as long as my rear can stand it, if I reasonably feel that the turkey is still out there. Just remember, that gobbler is working on his schedule, not yours, and he has nowhere else to be but where he is at the moment. Have fun with them and hang in there...if you stay dedicated and go often, things will fall into place one morning, and you will be in for an experience like you have never felt!
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Postby vicksburg » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:25 pm

All of the above advice is very good stuff to put in your pack and smoke. Something that has helped me in the past is cutting. Give him a 8-10 second series of excited cutts. This can make him come running or send him the other way but in my eyes, if he's 80 yards out there and not budging, he's not doing me any good. A fighting purr may also do the trick. If the birds your hunting aren't pressured alot, try these.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: vicksburg ]
blacklab101
Veteran

Postby blacklab101 » Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:33 am

All of the above are excellent tatics, they hit it right on the head, but one more thing I've noticed. Calling too much can hang up a bird as quick as anything. It gives the gobbler the idea "hey if she's so interested in me, she'll come to me." It's a lot like duck hunting, call to much and you can hang it up. Better luck on your next hunt!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Duckkilla
Veteran

Postby Duckkilla » Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:12 pm

Vicksburg you are full of sh*&t
go24
Duck South Addict

Postby go24 » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:08 pm

Good advice from all the guys. Your problem happens from time to time. Gobblers are unpredictable plus you gotta factor in hunting pressure and hen activity. I never do all that "cutting" crap. If the bird is in sight a purr is all you need if he's going the come.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”