Who's gonna work their dog on opening day doves?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RB
Regular

Who's gonna work their dog on opening day doves?

Postby RB » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:54 pm

Just want to know who's gonna work their dog on opening day doves this year. i know it's gonna be hot but I think a little shade and alot of drinking water should keep mine from overheating. I'll probably set up close to the pond and let him keep himself cool. I just can't stand the thought of leaving him in his pen while I'm busting some birds. I think if he knew he would never forgive me.
It's not a passion, it's a sickness!!! I don't want a cure!!!!
CaptnT
Veteran

Postby CaptnT » Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:02 pm

You might consider taking a bottle of rubbing alcohol as well, just remember to keep it out of the eyes.
Been better, been worse
RB
Regular

Postby RB » Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:17 pm

Thanks CaptnT... I assume to rub all over him or just around his head and neck? I never heard of that but it makes sense.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:19 pm

Capt'n T, I'll assume from your suggestion you are putting the alcohol on Fido's head, but I am not sure I know why.
feedcall
Duck South Addict

Postby feedcall » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:03 pm

RB, if it is sunny and 95, which it probably will be, don't get caught up in the exitement, and let him get overheated. I did it about 2 years ago, and my lab just layed there for 2 or 3 days. She was vommitting uncontrollably, and the vet told me that it almost killed her. They have a thick coat, and the sun doesn't help. They get overheated faster than you think. I sure didn't think mine was getting hot. I don't take her in the afternoons anymore, unless it is raining. It is awful hard to leave them at home though. She was 8 when that happened, and I am sure that a younger dog wouldn't be affected that easily, but man she got hot fast. Good luck.
Big Lou
Veteran

Postby Big Lou » Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:16 pm

I always save a couple of coke bottles and fill them 3/4 with water and then freeez them. I take that an an unfrozen bottel out in the field with a first aid kit with an iv kit in case I need to rehydrate him. Good Luck to everyone...... I'm still looking for a field close to home with birda on it!
getsome

Postby getsome » Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:16 pm

If you are going to run your dog during early sep. dove season ,be very careful. I watched a dog suffer from a heat stroke earlier this summer doing fairly light retrieving work. It is not a pretty sight. Even though the dog recieved promt vet car, he died three days later of renal failure. Yellow dog will be staying at the house this coming weekend. If you do take your dog, try to limit him to morning hunts only. Also remember the temperature of shallow ponds this time of year are in the mid 90's and offer little relief for the dog. When the hunting situation permits, I have hunted the dog out of a large ice chest of water, throwing a handful of ice in every once in a while to keep it cool. The dog really seems to enjoy this and you'll get a kick out of watching that big lab trying to fit it's entire body into a 48 qt. ice chest. You guys enjoy.
Big Lou
Veteran

Postby Big Lou » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:36 pm

Heyyyyyyy! i like that Ice Chest Idea! I am LOL just trying to picture my wild chocolate man trying to squeeze himeself into a an Ice Chest while watching for birds. I think that I would end up wearing most of the water though!
Drake
Veteran

Postby Drake » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:41 pm

It's no way my boy would fit into a 48 quart chest - maybe his head or one leg. It would take a 108 quart for him to get into. I can just imagine him getting in that cold water for the first time :shock: :shock: :shock:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
- Thomas Jefferson
Meeka
Duck South Addict

Postby Meeka » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:51 pm

Meeka has made about 9 straight openers. The heat can really effect their performance, especially smell. She won't make this one though. She has just gotten a clean bill of health after a bout with heartworms. So she is in even worse shape than usual at the end of a summer. I'm trying to keep it kinda quite about dove season coming up so maybe she will not remember it. She knows whats up when you start loading up guns and camo though. I'll have to sneak it out at night, I guess. It just won't be the same. I doubt I will enjoy it near as much. Besides, I'll have to pick up my own birds!
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:56 pm

A black dog can overheat just SITTING in the sun.
By the time you think you're dogs had too much, hes hurting. Watch for that tounge to swell, and the gums to change colors... both signs of overheating. Cold water to the belly immedately. Any half assed dog will fetch doves till it kills itself, they don't know to quit. When a dog quits on you, he's already hurting. Almost lost the fatdawg on a dove hunt a few years ago. Fine one minute, on her side throwing up the next.

Dogs build up heat the fastest in that thick cover with no wind they are hunting around in... the very kinda fetchs that make them worthwhile on a dove field. Do yur buddy a favor, knock em down in the clean stuff. Thinking you got a dog, so its ok to knock birds down in 3 foot tall beans, or that thick draw nobody else wanted to hunt next to, will get him hurt. Don't be macho, if fido had enough, he has had enough.

Counch potatoes are particualy vunerable, but the best condtioned dogs can get hot, a lot quicker than you think. My black dog is young, not an ounce of fat on him, trains daily and is in the best shape a dog CAN be. And 2 saturdays ago i got him hot in the am. Wasnt that hot yet, even a little wind stirring. But it was humid as hell, and I was running long singles and slot blinds through this draw, that didnt have a breath stirring. All of a sudden, it went from a good session, to a dog that just sat down in the shade. Just sat down... I had to go get him. An old dog, or a dog outta shape, Id probably killed him.

Shallow pond water is often 95 degrees. Not going to cool a dog off much in water like that. When you touch a wet dog and it feels like bathwater, you know you need a better plan to cool one off if he is in a bad way. Also, a wet dog is only cooler if there is AIR moving on him. A wet dog in crate in a pickup thats not moving, aint a bit cooler. Instead, hes got a sauna going on. Water on a dogs back actually keeps heat in, a wet belly and neck and a moving dog disapate the most heat. Alcohol/water mix is a life saver, dogs belly and neck (watch dem nuts or dat hooch!), and wash them later.

All that being said, I know my dog is working that day... Im just not sure if we are going hunting or not! travis
RB
Regular

Postby RB » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:12 pm

Damn...you guys got me worried now. I don't know if I'll carry him with me or not... He's just a year and a half old but I don't think the heat will discriminate if you know what I mean. I like the ice chest idea but Smoke is so high strung I don't think I could keep him in the chest. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll make my decision by opening day.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:42 pm

take care of your dogs boys...... this ain't rocket science..... take water for him to drink and splash with if no other water is available... limit him to retrieves if heat is a problem... even if it means you having to quit early.... if a limit of birds means more than your favorite pooch, then leave him at home... hope you can mark a bird as well as he does....haha...... them dogs will be your partners for-ever if you let them live that long.... take care.....

judge jb
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:51 pm

i also carry a bucket of ice water for drinks and a place to put dressed doves..... them dogs will learn where the cold water is at.... carry a zip-lock bag to keep dove breast... dress them as often as you can to keep from ruining.....

i always hate it when someone piles their birds at a shoot to find that the fire-ants have gotten to them....

judge jb
tunica du4u
Veteran

Postby tunica du4u » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:58 pm

If the weather is hot I will leave my ole black lab up. He just don't understand quit or slow down. Use to not bother him but he's 8 now and I gotta start slowing down with him. Good news is his white grandson is ready to go according to the trainer so I can give him a little relief. 8)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”