Predator control!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.

For Predator or let nature take it's course?

YES trap or shoot every critter that eats a duck egg or duck.
80%
NO let nature take its course.
3%
I would like to have more data on the impact of predators in the nesting grounds.
17%

Total votes: 30
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Predator control!

Postby Delta Duck » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:51 am

Would trapping on the nesting grounds be affective?
"Ducks on the Brain"
It's always better with a good dog and good friends, Ducks and no Terrorist!
http://www.DeltaDucks.com
gadwall2
Duck South Addict

Postby gadwall2 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:54 am

Predator control methods implemented by Delta Waterfowl have already been proven to work. Delta needs more money to cover more ground.
webfoot
Duck South Addict

Postby webfoot » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:52 am

DD, a direct donation to Delta can be marked for predator control. Here is a link to Delta's other programs.
Delta Program Links
"We face the question whether a still higher standard of living is worth its costs in things natural, wild, and free." - Aldo Leopold
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:25 pm

ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:23 pm

Yes i definitely support predator control. If they are creating places to concentrate ducks to nest then they would be crazy not to control the predator population. The nesting grounds aren't as spread out as they were years ago due to farming and development. I think the predators recognize this and concentrate in those areas as well. I think it quit being nature when they had to start making nesting grounds. If your goal is to produce ducks then kill the predators that prey on them.
work hard, play hard
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:40 pm

I am pretty bias when it comes to the nesting grounds.
Shoot every snake, trap every coon, fox, cyote, and every other critter that feeds on a duck egg or a hen. Shoot the Hawks and Owls or trap them and relocate one or the other.

I would like to see an 80% plus hatch.
"Ducks on the Brain"

SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:17 pm

I agree with Wingman.
run me out in the cold rain and snow
sportsman450
Duck South Addict

Postby sportsman450 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:46 pm

I'm with (And I can't believe I'm saying this) WINGMAN AND SOFTCALL!
sportsman

"That's Just My Opinion,I Could Be Wrong" - Dennis Miller
timberjack
Duck South Addict

Postby timberjack » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:02 am

An increase in fur prices would help out tremendously. You wouldn't have to pay somebody like DW to catch predators. The worse thing that happened to ground nesting birds was when fur prices dropped out of sight. Money motivates people...........
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:35 am

I understand about the balance,

You have a 10--15% hatch rate in the nesting grounds because of the thinking by some org. that more crp will mean more food source for the predators. That the biggest liberal suck up thinking I've ever heard.

A balance would be, We have plenty of egg eaters down here, Kill all of in the nesting grounds.

You can't have it both ways.
If you want duck #s then do what it takes that you have contol over. Drought no Drought, predator control is one variable you can have some control over!
"Ducks on the Brain"

D1
Duck South Addict

Postby D1 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:39 am

Not sure how to vote......

On 1 hand we are not shy of cyotes here in south Ms. however on the other hand as a coon hunter and fox hunter I dont feel killing ALL preditors would be the answer.....now for snakes OPEN SEASON
Thanks
Bruce

dogs are only as good as their trainers,and trainers are only as good as their dogs

Romans 14:11
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:47 am

D1,
I no what you are talking about on the coon hunting, There ain't nothing like listening to some good coon dogs run. I have alot of people I would let coon hunt behind the house because the Land owner wanted to control the coons. Well the coon hunters would not kill the coons, all they would do would be just tree the coons then move on.

Well the land owner moved some trappers in this Feb. and noone could coon hunt because of the traps out. It was not a pleasant situation.
"Ducks on the Brain"

litlhitch
Veteran

Postby litlhitch » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:18 am

an excerpt from a DU article:

He suspects that the general decline in nest success was due to a sharp drop in the abundance of small rodents, the primary food source for many predators. When mice and voles are scarce, predators may be forced to forage over much larger areas to find food and thus encounter more duck nests during their travels. In 2001, small rodent population samples conducted in conjunction with Stephens' research revealed that mice and voles were almost nonexistent on the study areas (rodent data wasn't available for 2000). "We conducted more than 13,000 trapping nights and found only 45 mice and five voles. On one site, nest success fell 39 percent from one year to the next. It's pretty hard to believe that predator density would change that much in one year. I think the predators just didn't have much else to eat out there except nesting birds."

It sounds to me like adding more prey for the predators might be as effective as harvesting all the predators.
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:30 am

That's like adding another item to the buffet line, it's just going to feed more people.
"Ducks on the Brain"

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:34 am

I haven't seen that one yet, very interesting. I wonder which one is most likely to be accepted by PETA: Predator control, or introducing an alternative food source into the ecosystem?

Not that we really give a rip what PETA thinks. I'm sure they would have a hard time with this one.... But all of those cute little mice.... :lol: :lol:
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”