Trashy hunters

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Trashy hunters

Postby Wingman » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:52 pm

Picked up two garbage sacks full of trash out of the dove field today. Dr. Pepper cans, coke bottles, water bottles, Skoal cans, shell boxes, toilet paper, hulls, hulls, hulls. I even picked up two D batteries! What, you just couldn't handle all of that weight on the walk back to the truck??!! All of this after I politely ask everyone to please pick up their mess.

And the kicker, there were more 20 gauge hulls than anything else. That tells me that there are alot of dads out there teaching their kids to be slobs just like pop. What that says to me: thanks for letting my kid hunt for free...but I'm not considerate enough to pick up after either one of us.

Well, you're welcome. I can only imagine what your yard looks like.

Why do people think they can leave all of that garbage everywhere. Same reason our roads look like landfills. As the lady on the radio says,
"PICK IT UP, MISSISSIPPI. I AIN'T YA MAMA!"

Wingman
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
go24
Duck South Addict

Postby go24 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:00 pm

I think some have the idea that since they paid, they also paid for somebody to pick up the trash. What's worse, I've seen guys hunting at no charge and still trash the place!
slim jim
Veteran

Postby slim jim » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:28 pm

What gets me pissed is the broken bottles around boat ramps around here.I'm getting scared to let my dogs wonder while I unload the boat.
this look's like it's gona hurt
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:22 pm

I went out to my field thursday, I did not see any trash, just the hulls. I've got a different group coming in the morning and do not expect to see any trash from these fellows. :wink:
"Ducks on the Brain"
It's always better with a good dog and good friends, Ducks and no Terrorist!
http://www.DeltaDucks.com
JT
Regular

Postby JT » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:40 pm

Sorry to hear that you are having such problems Wingman. When I first started hunting my Dad would have busted my behind good for leaving hulls or trash behind after a hunt. He worked hard to find good places for us to hunt and we often did work for the land owners as a thank you for the priveledge. Anything from clearing brush to building blinds to hauling hay. I found a small place to hunt geese this year and we are helping with some odd jobs there as well as picking up after ourselves. We pick up hulls and wads as well as trash.

In spite of this many land owners I have talked to are reluctant to let people hunt their land even if you are willing to work in return. I don't begrudge a man for saying no but some of them say they used to let people hunt but no more. They just got fed up with picking up after people or having their rules and wishes ignored.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:50 pm

I understand some might have the "I paid for the hunt, I don't have to clean up" logic. Well, that all figures into the future prices of the hunt. Kinda like insurance going up when more folks have wrecks. I spend at least 2 hours every Friday picking up trash. I absolutely abhor a nasty field. I wouldn't want to wade through someone else's garbage on my paid hunt. Yeah, it's all part of the paid hunt deal, but I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to clean up their garbage. I'm not talking about a hull here or there that gets lost in the weeds or ejected somewhere that you can't see it. 100-150 hulls in one spot, with coke cans and shell boxes is a bit too much. The kid thing really puts a bur under my saddle. That's a whole generation of hunters being taught to be sloppy in the field.

You that hunt public land take this into consideration as well. It doesn't matter what or if you paid to hunt, why litter? Why roll down your window going down the road and throw out a coke bottle or a beer can or a candy wrapper? Why? Laziness and disrespect for nature and others, that's why.

Wingman

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
dedux
Veteran

Postby dedux » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:08 pm

I went on a pay hunt once, where the owner reimbursed the hunters 3 cents per each spent shell that they turned in to him. They had to re-box them in the boxes they came in, so the counting was easy to do. He said it worked great, wasn't a lot of expense to him, and the hunters just naturally picked up their trash, while gathering up the spent shells and empty boxes.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:40 pm

How do you get 25 spent hulls to fit back in the box? Good idea though.

Wingman

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
D1
Duck South Addict

Postby D1 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:14 am

I agree it is LAZINESS is all it boils down to Wingman.

My dad didnt hunt however, we did fish together and the men who taught me to hunt not only taught me to respect what I was hunting,but also respect the land wich the animals depend on so we will have more animals to hunt and land to do it on.....

And I thank all of the men who for teaching me these things:

1) It only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the bushel.(As JT said no one will let you hunt thier land anymore)

2)Leave the area you are hunting cleaner than you left it,leave only your foot prints

And I thank GOD for giving me the wisdom to understand what they taught me
Thanks
Bruce

dogs are only as good as their trainers,and trainers are only as good as their dogs

Romans 14:11
billjohnson
Veteran

Deltaduck

Postby billjohnson » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:14 am

I felt bad about even leaving hull in the field. I meant to ask you about that. Email me when you get a chance. I need to get some paperwork from you. Hope ya'll have a good hunt this morning. Rode around and looked at the fields. Everything looks pretty good.

Bill Johnson
Madison, AL
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:14 am

Hey Wing, do you have a few plastic trash barrels around in the right spots? Might serve as reminder and be easy on you. Just a suggestion. Some people will throw stuff down right beside a can though.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:08 am

I have a can now on the way out. Seems to be working, that and I assigned numbered spots to each hunter. Oh well, maybe we can all have a good time and learn a thing or two while we're at it.

Wingman

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Unlucky Ducky
Veteran

Postby Unlucky Ducky » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:16 pm

That's one of the first things I have taught my 7 yr old son, pick-up after yourself and if somebody left a mess before you pick it up also.
I have gotten permission to hunt/fish on private land, a one time deal, had the owner come up and see me picking up trash and was given more access to his land, he appreciated the fact I respected his land as if it were my own.

Hope things get better for ya wingman, but there 's some folks you just can't reach.
Don't be stupid, you idiot.
BigLou2
Veteran

Postby BigLou2 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:40 pm

Picked up as many as I could Wingman on the way back to the truck loaded up my backpack for you. We had a great time and almost got a limit. We sure should have had a limit if we would have shot a little better. My friend sure did enjoy your field and your hospitallity, as well as I did. It was his first southern Dove hunt, he is from Idaho. Needless to say we will be calling for a latter hunt! Enjoyed it and so did my dog!
dedux
Veteran

Postby dedux » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:55 pm

Wing, getting 25 spent hulls back into their original box is quite simple. The hunter simply pops the expanded end of the plastic hull back into place. All 25 hulls fit perfectly back into the box.
The hunter puts 75 cents in his pocket, and you don't have to pick up hulls.
It worked great for the guy, where I hunted last year. It even gives the kids something constructive to do, and keeps 'em from getting bored when the birds are slow.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”