need some help with my lab

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

need some help with my lab

Postby RebelYelp » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:15 pm

alright guys,

i know some of you know alot more abotu dogs than me and y'all might even laugh at my question. Haley is about 7 months and 2 weeks old. She's always ate her food right up when i told her ''ok''. Tthis morning i went out there and she went out like she watned to go run around, i called her back into her kennel and she came and sat when i gave her the command, but when i told her ''ok'' she just kind of looked at the food and sniffed it and walked around and only started to eat a few minutes after i had walked off. Tonight i go out there to feed her and she'd turned her water bucket over so i filled it back up and she drank and drank and drank and i put her food down and said ok and she did hte same thing. I knwo she ate the food this morning because it was gone. My question is, is this normal or shoudl i take her to the vet, could she be sick or just being a puppy ?

Thanks,

Jake
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Postby QUACKERS » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:20 am

Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:24 pm

RebelYelp,

I have one of your sisters and she loves to fling her water and food bowl around! Nothing to it...don't worry about it. I have a one year old Brit. female that eats the side of her water bucket. Guess it gives her something to chew on to pass the time until I get home. I would worry about it though. When summer gets here you might want to find a way to rig it up so that the pup doesn't spill or throw the water around as she will be hot and thirsty. Thinking that she will learn not to tip it over and play with it will not happen. You will fill it up...pup will drink like crazy....pup will get bored...pup will throw it around.

It is funny because I have a male that is ticky. He does not like for his food bowl to be dirty and his water bucket could be sound as new. He doesn't chew or naw on any of it. STRANGE!
DRUM07
Regular

Postby DRUM07 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:40 pm

I have had trouble like this with my lab a couple of times. He would not eat but would drink water as quick as you would fill up his bucket. Turned out he had gotten a sore throat somehow. Hold her mouth open wide and see if you can spot any irritation in the back of her throat. If so take her to the vet for some antibiotics.

Dogs canget sick too. :wink:
Offered at Stud: "HRCH Lucyana's Third Time A Charm JH"
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:40 pm

thansk guys

the water bowl wasn't really a concern to me, i was just wondering if her being thirsty would cause her to not ''gobble'' her food up like she usally does. I fed her a lil while ago and she ate it as soon as i put it down just not very fast like she used to. Maybe she had a run in with heartburn :D

Jake
drake slayer
Veteran

Postby drake slayer » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:59 pm

Dont think this is the case but we had a dog thats stomach flipped inside, wasn't a lab but it did the same stuff your dog is doing, almost died too, dont think that is it but it could happen.
Quack Quack , BAM!!!!!!!!
Marty N.
Veteran

Postby Marty N. » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:47 am

If your pup has always been a good eater then something is bothering her. The age is about right for her puppy teeth to start to fall out or loosen. If this is the case then her mouth and gums are sore and she can't chew her food. Open her mouth and touch her teeth to see if they are loose or if there is any blood on her gums. My guess is this is the problem, alot of the pups I get here to train at that age exhibit that problem.
Marty
North winds and low sky. Drakes only!!!!!!!
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:04 pm

not the teeth,

she's had her teeth in for a while now.
she's been eatin better so maybe it was just a sore throat like drum said.

Jake
Meeka
Duck South Addict

Postby Meeka » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:59 pm

Have you had trouble with any aspect of her training? pups go crazy two times for a bout a week, I believe. Maybe it is just her challenging your command. Plus, maybe she is coming in cycle, they act strange then too.
Meeka
Duck South Addict

Postby Meeka » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:00 pm

Or maybe she is a closet democrat with a republican name!
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:34 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”