When the Levee Breaks....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

When the Levee Breaks....

Postby Wingman » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:48 am

...nope, not Zeppelin, but Purvis. :shock:

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0403/13/ma01.html

Wingman
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
BeastMaster
Duck South Addict

Postby BeastMaster » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:48 pm

And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it, they will be your food.
Duck Sniper
Duck South Addict

Postby Duck Sniper » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:44 pm

i saw it and it was unbelievable... practically no water in the lake....bunch of boats sunk down in the mud from where people we fishing and then no water. houses washed off foundation,etc. It was a horrible sight, but a fisherman's dream... Let me rephrase. I don't think you can really call it fishing b/c there was no casting out your line and giving the fish a fighting chance. People were filling up all their coolers with 10lb + size bass. all you had to do was pick them up off the ground!
sniper
"If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." John Wayne

"You can't teach a hunter it's wrong to kill." Hari Dass Baba
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:55 am

It is really strange that the news group have not shown pictures of this deal. I watch the news every night and have yet to see film of the area.

Good that they are not there harrassing people in their time of need.
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:36 pm

sounds like a dam problem to me... :shock:

hope it all turns out ok... that's tough
Last edited by MemphisStockBroker on Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
Duck Sniper
Duck South Addict

Postby Duck Sniper » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:44 pm

it was all over the hattiesburg news and paper...pictures I mean.
sniper
"If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." John Wayne

DRUM07
Regular

Postby DRUM07 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:45 pm

I just got back from taking a look at the damage caused by the flood. The people that were involved really need our prayers. A lot of these people have NOTHING left. The only thing that I can think of to compare it to is the destruction path of a tornado. Trees are uprooted, houses were moved off of their foundations, and mobile homes were tossed around like rag dolls. Big Bay is a private community, so we could not go to look at what was left of the lake itself. Lots on the lake run around $100,000, I know this because our bank has financed some of them, and now there worth a tenth of that.

Back to the serious side...Many of these people did not have flood insurance, and homeowners doesn't cover something like this since it is not a natural disaster. So there is nothing for them to turn to except filing suit against the lakes owner, and all of us know how long that could take before these people get any monetary relief.

The lake was privately owned, meaning that there is no homeowner's association to take legal responsibility for this. Therefore the owner, who is a Tatum (if your from the H'burg area that name means big $$$) will be solely responsible for any the legal actions that arise. (I think, you guys in the legal field can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Even though my time on this forum has been short, I do know that some powerful prayer is produced thru its members, and these unfortunate people need it now more than ever.

Drum
Offered at Stud: "HRCH Lucyana's Third Time A Charm JH"
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:54 pm

Will pray for them. :wink:
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
Sasha and Abby
Veteran

Postby Sasha and Abby » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:33 pm

Sorry to hear of the problems
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers
Duck Sniper
Duck South Addict

Postby Duck Sniper » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:36 pm

yep...they sure need our prayers
sniper

BeastMaster
Duck South Addict

Postby BeastMaster » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:09 pm

i saw some of the pictures on the news the other night.. it looked pretty awful from what i saw... would of been neat to see all those fish flappin around.... that was a rather large lake 1100 acre lake is big...... wonder what happened to the engineer that came out and looked at the dam hours before it broke.... how does he feel knowing that is judgement may have saved all of that destruction
And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it, they will be your food.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:26 am

The engineer came out in 2001 and told them they had a leak and need to work on the levee. The land owner put over a thousand dollars into the levee to stop the problem.
After all this rain it only started leaking again days before the blow out.
The engineer was not called back before it blew out and the land owner had little time to react after being notified by local law of the growing levee leak.

Per news last night.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”