Puppy Questions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Puppy Questions

Postby hillhunter » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

First question, my pup is 4.5 months old and the last few days has had a terrible case of diarrhea. Not sure what is causing it. I havent changed his food, had has what are otherwise normal days. Doesnt act sick or anything.

Also, what age should I transition him into dog food?
work hard, play hard
franny131
Veteran

Re: Puppy Questions

Postby franny131 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm

I keep mine on puppy food at least 6 months or maybe longer. A little canned Pumpkin and a little cottage cheese can slow down the loose stool. If it keeps up tho, you'll be dealing with dehydration in your pup, so don't let it go too long. Has he had any shots recently? Or could he have gotten into something in the yard. My female lab at 5 months ate an azalea - I didn't notice it right away either, but she became pretty darn sick. Azalea, blue berry bushes, and other plants will make them very very sick. And a puppy at that age, particularly a lab, will eat just about anything. Things like that ingested can cause a lot of trouble with pups. My pup goes past 2 days he gets a trip to the vet.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Side Kick
Veteran

Postby Side Kick » Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Best thing would be to take him to the vet. I don't know about over there but my dad is a vet here and from what he has said this year has been a really bad one for parvo.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 am

I took him to the vet this morning after he was sick again last night. Seems he had a bacterial infection that is usually contracted from them being in/around/eatin cow manure. Makes sense since my dad has a pasture and we were out there a good bit over the weekend. Must have got a craving for cow mess. Dock said he would be ok and gave me some anitbiotics to give him over the next few days.
work hard, play hard
Side Kick
Veteran

Postby Side Kick » Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 am

That actually happened to me on Monday. My pup got really sick. Few days of anti-nausea meds and some antibiotics, good as new. Glad you found out what was wrong with him.
franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Glad to hear he's gonna be all right!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Return to “General Discussion Forum”