Question for the attorneys on the site

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Question for the attorneys on the site

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:37 pm

What is the word on some of the online law degrees? Are they worth anything and can you get licensed to practice law with a law degree from an online school? Found some info on a couple and they seem legit and a whole lot less expensive than MC Law. Thanks for the info.
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Re: Question for the attorneys on the site

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:52 pm

No offense, but getting your degree for any professional job is much more than just getting that piece of paper. The school you go to and how well you do is going to determine how good you are at that profession. It's much different than just getting any degree and going out and finding a job. The cost of any professional school doesn't really matter. School loans take care of that and are fairly easy to pay back with a professional job. Get your education at Ole Miss or MC and it'll be much much better in the longrun.
Hays Creek
Veteran

Postby Hays Creek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm

If not accredited by the ABA and not in Mississippi I don't think it will work:

http://ftp.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/789/789.F2d.334.85-4642.html

I would call the Bar and confirm - ask for someone in admissions - they are usually very helpful:

http://www.msbar.org/

Unsolicited advice: I wouldn't get a law degree right now unless I was fairly certain I had a job lined up, lots of folks looking and the few that are getting jobs aren't getting paid much. If you want a degree for your business or something like that it's a different story.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:15 pm

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
quackhead11
Veteran

Postby quackhead11 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:38 pm

I posted a reply earlier but I guess I accidently deleted it - but the answer to your question is probably not. The most important thing, is to first determine whether the law school or online degree is certified by the ABA and thus "accredited." I doubt most, if any, online law degrees or law schools are certified by the ABA. If it is not certified, the degree is virtually worthless other than to say you have a "law degree," because you cannot take most state bar exams and would therefore be unable to practice law if your law degree is from a non ABA certified law school. Specifically, in order to take the bar exam in almost any state (Miss. included), there is a requirement that you obtain a law degree from an ABA certified law school. There are, however, few states (Miss is not one) that will allow you to sit for the bar exam from an unaccredited law school, IF the law school is in that particular state.

Like the earlier post have stated, I would first determine whether it was approved by the ABA. Hope it helps. If you are thinking about law school, shoot me a pm and I will be happy to help.
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Ditto everything said above.
Click
Duck South Addict

Postby Click » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:44 pm

heelsit

Postby heelsit » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:45 pm

There is an article in today's USA Today about how tough it is for Law grads to find jobs. It said that in 2009, 88% of grads found jobs, down from 92% in 2007.
Two guys from Vanderbilt formed a non-profit (Law School Transparency) and petitioned that 200 schools submit salary and employment data for 2010 grads, which they intend to post on line.
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 pm

It worked for Kenneth Stokes.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
Ducklord
Veteran

Postby Ducklord » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:16 am

Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 am

duckhunterdoc
Veteran

Postby duckhunterdoc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:50 am

well, what a'bot da Hollerday N xpress
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:05 am

I'll echo the sentiments expressed by the others and give you a perspective from Alabama. Alabama is one of the few states that allows graduates on non-accredited schools to sit for the bar exam but only from Miles or Birmingham School of Law as provided for by statute. As you can imagine the bar passage rate for those two schools is abysmal. Jones School of Law in Montgomery only recently became accredited so now there are three accredited schools in Alabama; UA, Cumberland and Jones. If you ever intend to practice law, you need to attend the best law school you can get admitted to. The relationships you make in law school will serve you well the rest of your career. With that said, the market for law school graduates is awful. A few months ago I interviewed a girl who graduated in the top 10% of her class at Alabama, but couldn't find a job and was willing to take a law clerk salary just to get employment so she would have insurance. Firms simply aren't hiring as most are having difficulty meeting their own bottom line. So unless you intend to get a law degree for your own edification, I would avoid law school all together right now and certainly would never encourage anyone to obtain a law degree on line.
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 am

Jimmy, no kiddin' now, but think this kinda stuff through before you go wasting your time actually looking it up and posting it.....think man.

you barely passed Mrs. Tripp's 8th grade algebra class (the second time) and you're gonna get you a law degree.....................online.

seriously?

your buddy, and no need to thank me for this shot of common sense, Justin
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:44 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”