Surgery

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Surgery

Postby rustypjr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Looks like I am prolly going to have shoulder surgery. Wonder how bad the recoil is going to hurt next year? Anybody else had it done?
Rusty Parsons
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Re: Surgery

Postby Seymore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm in the same boat with you. I get mine done next week. I can't have an MRI because of some medical implants so they don't really know everything that's wrong. At least it would be shaving the bone and at most repairing a torn rotator cuff. We'll see.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:54 pm

besides ice, a limbsaver recoil pad will be your best friend! got one on .444, .270, and .308 and they are sooooo nice on a cut shoulder!!! make sure to get the installable (screws) kind and not just the slip-on pad, the slip-on tends to let the pad move around a good bit.
good luck to both of you...and my empathy winces for you :cry:
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm

They hope they can do the MRI. They did an xray of my eyes today. Cause I used to be a welder. They think I might have metal in my eyes.
Rusty Parsons
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Who is doing the cutting? You should be fine by next year. It may never be 100% nl again but atleast it won't hurt and will be functional. :)
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:13 pm

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but from what I've heard from every single person who's had shoulder surgery is that the rehab is the worst thing they've ever gone through, but once it's done they're back to normal with more range of motion than before with little to no pain.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
fieldt76
Veteran

Postby fieldt76 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:57 am

I got told to load up on pain meds just before going to PT after the surgery. That was not comforting in the least.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:19 am

AMoore141
Regular

Postby AMoore141 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:46 am

It wont be bad....6 months or less you'll be good as new!!!! I'm a PT in Jackson and the most important thing you can do is follow the directions of the doctor and your therapist. Do your home exercises they give ya and don't do things they tell ya not to do. Shooting next season will not be an issue if you have it done pretty soon.

Feel free to PM me if ya have any more questions......

Adam
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:15 am

Sounds likes a good excuse for a new 243....
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 am

Rusty you will be fine by next season. I had surgery done June 30 this past year due to an accident and I shot my encore 50 cal. and 300 SUAM for deer season. I like to deer hunt with a slug gun also but it just hurt to bad so I decided not to hunt with it this year.

I can tell you I didn't do drugs after surgery or before therapy. I tried the pain pills after surgery and I was suffering as bad from them as I did the pain. I called gator and after our discussion I tried a different pain pill, than I decided to hell with it and just dealt with the pain. Therapy is not fun and hurts like hell. My wife did my therapy and I aint kidding I would stuff a wrag in my mouth so the kids couldn't understand what I was saying. She kept telling me none of my other patients do that and I would say your meaner to me than them.

I am back to doing everything I use to do except lifting very heavy objects. I can lift but when I do (I acquired a cadaver tendon) that tendon will hurt for a few days. As far as range of motion it is pretty close to being back. I have a little tightness but in all it is ok.

Get ready to spend some nights in your lazy boy. Make sure your kids (if you have any) know that they cant jump on you and you cant hold them. Mine never grasped that concept and I paid dearly for it. I went to work one day and felt pretty good all day, came home and when I walked in the door my daughter ran up to me wanting a hug. As soon as she hit my shoulder I hit the floor. I was in pain from that for two days (no BS).
Peewee
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 am

donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”