Lets talk some duck hunting for a change

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
7ducks
Veteran

Re: Lets talk some duck hunting for a change

Postby 7ducks » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:21 pm

[quote="crackhead"]Ok this site has been sucking for awhile so im going to try and talk duck killing for a min.

[quote="crackhead"]My opinion is your only as good as who you hunt with. Since we hunt together so much its almost like a married couple. There is no bitching second guessing or asking whats to be done next.

I told my son many times its far more important to enjoy/get along with the people that you hunt with, than killing any amount of ducks or deer.

Ty.........Sounds like a pretty special group that you hunt with........
Last edited by 7ducks on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:55 pm

You guys are lucky.

Half the time I duck hunt alone. I simply can't find anyone who wants to go. They complain that it is Christmas time and they need to be with the family or that its January and all the bills are due and they can't chip in for gas. They'd rather play a game of golf or sit on the sofa and watch a football game. Its 10 hours to drive to the club, so it is difficult to round up anyone. My little brother comes with me probably fifty percent of the time and we have fun. I do have a crew that goes to New Orleans to duck hunt and raise hell every year. I hunt maybe 15 - 18 times a season if I am lucky.
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Postby aweyerman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm pretty nomadic during duck season and make my schedule around it. So most the time I hunt with several different guys but every weekend I hunt with the same 4 to 6 guys. Hunting in Alabama you pretty well have to stay on your toes and being able to travel on a whim really helps. I've got buddies all over the state and if they call me and say we got ducks and I don't, well I'm heading that way. I'm usually the one doing all the scouting, most of the calling and directing when it comes to setting up, and most the time hunt out of my boat (which if it were a car would probably have the equivalent of 400,000 miles on it haha). So it's sort of a nice thing when someone calls me up and lets me kind of hunt with them instead of everyone always hunting with me, not that I mind. I always like the company because company or not I'll hunt 50+ days a year. A lot of those days its just me and my Dad, which he's disabled so I have to do all the work but I don't mind that a bit either. He hauled me around enough growing up.
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
rawalley
Duck South Addict

Postby rawalley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Richard Walley
(601)317-0657
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:22 pm

crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Jimbob our group is super special . To the point I would kill for em and they me! We hunt together 30-50 days together mixed up with some on some days and others the rest. I mean we have slept in boats together for days to get the holes we wanted, been in weddings, helped through divorces, carried each others gear cause they were outa shape, payed off dumb ass bets that were made (love u jeff! He swam the bayou and got his head shaved last season! Had to be there to know the skinny on that!) I'm talking we are like navy seal kinda close. The stories and pictures I have that have taken place with them are crazy/unbelievable/holy crap y'all didn't kinda shiz!! I don't for one second take them for granted! U can't cause there arnt many like our crew. And with out a doubt they would not do any less for the the other. And what's crazy is how we all came together. So to the A-team as we call our self....raise your glass!!

The few on here that's run with us/hunted with us/hell just heard a few stories no we don't freck around.

A-team for life!!!
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 pm

There are no ducks around here. So I have to travel an hour and a half, minimum, to get to even poor duck hunting waters. I'll take two weeks' vacation during the season and make some trips. There's a short list of friends that usually tag along. Duck trips are no place for a-holes or newbies.

Usually, I'll take some new guys out on the local rivers and show them the ropes over the season. Experienced hunters can either help the new guys, or suffer from them hunting the same waters nearby. I probably take five or six new guys (not always new hunters) a season.

It's better hunting with folks that share the same passion for duck hunting. That may be the best part of DuckSouth and other forums. You meet guys that know their stuff, you trade hunts with them, and you end up with new hunting friends.

As an aside, aweyerman is one of the funniest, most entertaining foks I have ever been around. We've hunted together, and will again. Yall want some laughs, make a hunt with that guy. Just make sure the timber is tall!
Never assume.
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Postby aweyerman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 pm

TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:15 pm

I hunt every day of the season and during the splits travel to other states so I hunt a lot each year, not counting trips out of the country. Even though our camp has some 20 members I hunt with just a few of them and had rather hunt with my sons or a couple of close friends or by myself, but new rules from my boys and the wife will probably stop that now. I'll hunt by myself a lot with just my dog or one or two others that I don't have to explain every move to or reason for doing what I do. I get uncomfortable around guys that don't take it serious either by respect for the birds or from a safety standpoint. I'm too old to train new guys! Have made a lot of memories, hosted quite a few hunters from foreign countries and some famous people from the world of conservation, art, sports and journalism. Now I'm just happy to see the sunrise and add a few more destinations from my bucket list and enjoy what time I have left with friends and family. Many enjoy the sport as much as I do, but nobody enjoys it more!
Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Ty , Later in life, you probably won't remember the number of ducks you've killed or the big deer you've taken ...... but the memories of those special people you shared it with will be with you the rest of your life.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 pm

I hunt with Duck$$$ and he hit our group on the head.I think we'r a pretty tite core group that's been duck hunting together for 15yrs or better.Like he said nobody has to call shot's or when to call or not or be told to watch the dog or sit around wondering if their gonna show late you know their gonna be there ready to go.
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:59 pm

When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
HeKing
Veteran

Postby HeKing » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 pm

I generally hunt with the same group of 6 or 7 guys that are classmates of mine. Usually try to squeeze in some hunts with the guy back home who is responsible for my duck hunting problem. :lol: School has put a major damper on my number of days hunting for the last 3 or 4 seasons. I hunt public land a lot or anywhere else I can get permission.

This will be my last season as a student and as of right now I'm off from thanksgiving til the 3rd week of January so I'm planning to chase ducks til I can't afford the gas any more. :D
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 pm

I pretty much just hunt with 1 other guy most of the season. I'll echo what some others have said - we pretty much know what the other one is going to do and don't have to explain anything. Usually the only thing we'll discuss is decoy placement. Whenever we do try to make a calling strategy or call the shots we end up messing it up. I'll hunt with a couple other guys every now and then but very few of them take it seriously. I'll hunt with a coworker of mine that's been a lifelong duck hunter a few times a year but our styles are totally different and it frustrates the piss out of me after a couple hunts. I never hunt alone. It's not because I don't want to but I've always had somebody to go with me. I'd like to get in a hunt or two with just me and the dog though. I just think it'd be fun. I also wouldn't mind having some more folks to hunt with that are dedicated to it and don't just do it because it's something cool to list on their hunting resume.

I don't get to hunt near as much as I want due to several different factors, family being the big one. I usually get in around 15-20 days/season, mostly on the weekends but I try to squeeze in some weekday hunts starting around Crimmus. I'm jealous of y'all that get to go so much. Don't take that for granted.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm a hunt whore. I'll hunt with just about anyone.. here's a funny story from last year.. it was the last day my wife was off for crissums vac. It wad a weekday and I had to work but had a little time for a close by am hunt. Hell now that I think about it I think I made up my mind that I would try and hunt the next moning around 11 pm the night befor. Actually I dint even set the alarm I just figured if I woke and felt Like it I would go. Sure enough around 4:20 I woke up. I was like ok what do I do.. I didn't want to hunt my private hole close to town. So I packed up my gear and figued I ride around to the boat ramps of the Ross b.. my plan was to pull up to the ramp. Tellem Bigwater was ready and see if anyone had any extra room. Sure enuff 1st ramp I pulled up to there was a guy by himself gettin ready to go. Turns out I had met the guy a month earlier. He said hell yea com on let's do it. I was tickled pink that my plan had worked. Even made a nice double on mallets that am
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”