help with a e collar

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cmj84
Regular

help with a e collar

Postby cmj84 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

i sent my dog off to be trained last year an when i got her back she was real skiddish when hunting an working especially when i had the shock collar in her. i took it off an hunted few more hunts an she got better. this year we have hunted twice ( with no collar ) an she just acts like she isnt quite as excited about going out an getting the ducks like she has been like she has lost some drive maybe but shes 3. if we work in the yard she is as hyper an ready to go as good as the next dog but hunting changes her some. i know the guy that trained her was way too rough with eh shock collar than needed to be. my question is what can i do to ger her to get that drive to hunt back? or if i have nothing to worry about just keep hunting.. my buddys who aren't dog guys dont mind a dog thats a little slower just as long as they don't have to go get any ducks haha but i know she is better than what she has showed me these past 2 hunts
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Re: help with a e collar

Postby BucksandDucks » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 am

Train with her as much as possible and make it positive and fun. Do you train with ducks? If not, I would try training with ducks, just save some from your previous hunts and train with them.
---"The fool that drinks to drown his sorrows, ought to be told that sorrow knows how to swim" - unknown

HRCH Choctaw's Diamond Bailey SH
HRCH Nature's Fierce Firestorm
cmj84
Regular

Postby cmj84 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 am

yea i do some training with ducks. she does fine doing that in the yard, when she leaves out on a retrieve she is kicking dirt in my face she is leaving so hard but for some reason duck hunting these past 2 times she has not acted real excited about doing it it kinda has me worried she doesn't like to hunt as much.
chance
Duck South Addict

Postby chance » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 am

Quite the opposite reaction than you might expect. Training is no fun for dogs that have been corrected a bunch. Usually hunting they will really pick it up.
Any negative experiences while hunting tha the dog may associate with?
GODFATHER
GRENADA MAFIA

Return to “General Discussion Forum”