Heart blood clot filters....need info.....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Heart blood clot filters....need info.....

Postby dukluk » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge about these blood clot filters???....it seems the manufacturer has been hiding lots of info. about their failure and breaking.

I have a very dear friend in another state, who is a military war veteran, with one of these things implanted in his heart, and he is scared sheeitless that it is going to break apart, and kill him....deaths have already occurred from that very thing happening, already.

His VA doctors have throw up their hands on the deal because of all the impending lawsuits....it seems I remember a doctor on our DS site a good while back, who had some knowledge about this sort of heart situation.

I will pass on any helpful info., and he will really be appreciative.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ne ... aw-n384536
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Re: Heart blood clot filters....need info.....

Postby Chuckle12 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:26 am

I'm pretty sure it was just an issue with the Recovery filters. All others are pretty safe. There are lots of different types of IVC filters in production. I use them on my patients when needed. Unless he has a Recovery, he should be ok.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
sondance
Veteran

Re: Heart blood clot filters....need info.....

Postby sondance » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:54 pm

IVC filters have been around over 20 years. I think the original was the greenfield filter. I was a permanent implant, placed at the level of the lowest renal vein. Bard starting making "retrievable" filters about 10 years ago but they can only be removed up to a certain period of time. My point being unless he has the specific one mentioned I wouldn't be overly concerned. He should have received an implant card at time of discharge that tells him the serial number and manufacturer
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Return to “General Discussion Forum”