New diesel???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
quackerkiller
Veteran

New diesel???

Postby quackerkiller » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Thinking of a new truck but don't know what brand... What puts out the best, best fuel economy? Any suggestions? Really like the chevy/gmc.... What about the new dodges?
Brandon Thornton

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... A guns only enemies, are Obama and rust....."
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Re: New diesel???

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Don't even worry about fuel economy if you are buying a truck. Honestly, they are all going to get about the same depending on what engine you get. Then you can add things like a programmer, K & N FIPK kit, etc. to improve it.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Before the recent changes to diesels with all the exhaust restrictions with the regen deal, duramax trucks got the best mpg's. The 2007 and prior Duramax's would commonly get up to 20mpg.

But coming from a diesel truck owner, don't buy a new diesel truck unless you really need the extra power. The better fuel economy will never make up for the initial investment cost of getting a diesel. You can buy a lot of extra gas with the $5000+ price difference.

The new diesels do not get great fuel economy. Whether it's the ford, dodge, or GM, you'll be lucky to get better than 15mpg avg.

Speaking to several owners, a lot of folks are very happy with the new Ford 6.4L Powerstroke. The Duramax has the most power, but their emissions system is not as good as the one on the Ford.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
LAWAYNE
Regular

Postby LAWAYNE » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:01 pm

I have an 08 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins and 6 speed auto and I average around 17mpg in town and upwards of 21 mpg on the road. My truck is not super low geared (3.73:1 rearend) and I am very particular about thing such as air pressure. The beauty of the Cummins is it's a 6 cylinder and this means less moving parts, plus Cummins is one of the oldest diesel engine makers out there. And just for the record we have both Fords and Dodges and the Cummins gets by far the better mileage of the two. With the new trucks you can't add things such as programmer chips without spending a lot of money to get rid of the government mandate crap they are required to have now, Thanks a lot California!
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Most all the Diesel's are the same. Ford, Dodge, Chevy/GMC as far as power goes.

If you need a diesel get the Duramax with the 6-speed Allison Transmission. Its a hoss.

If you don't need a diesel looks at a 1500, with the 6.2L engine and the 6-spd tranny. Its a beast as well.

(I'm a GM guy :D )
kevinw
Veteran

Postby kevinw » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 pm

If it's brand new, you definatley gonna forkout some $$$$$$ due to that urea tank on them. I heard that stuff is like $20/gallon. I forget how long a tank is good for. But I know a fellow who is definately not hurting for money and needs a diesel, but he said the new ones with the urea tank is too rich for his blood and he got the gas model.
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Postby aweyerman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:49 pm

WTF is a urea tank?
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Ah, I learn somethin new everyday. Well then I new there was an 8 cyl. somewhere.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
grant_c
Veteran

Postby grant_c » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:30 pm

I'd get an older ford with a 7.3 in it! I'm rollin 290,000 miles on mine and she's still a beast!
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 pm

I would be mor worried about the 60k than the fuel.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
slim jim
Veteran

Postby slim jim » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 pm

all i've heard so far on new 6.7 in the f250's and f350 is good
this look's like it's gona hurt
Coldtrain_1
Regular

Postby Coldtrain_1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 pm

I have owned two diesels. I have had a 7.3 powerstroke and I currently have the 5.9 cummins. Both trucks were strong as an ox and both got relatively good mileage. The best I got out of my ford was 19.5 and it was 4x4 auto. I currently average about 20 out of my 4x4 manual dodge and it only has 75k miles on it. I do know a few guys that have put quite a bit of money (about 4000) in their cummins and are getting close to 30 on the highway and 25 pulling a loaded 6 horse trailer. It really depends on what you are doing. If you are looking for comfort, Chevys/GMCs are hard to beat. If you need brute strength and towing power, Dodge can't be beat.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:29 am

The urea tank is the new emissions control system and called Diesel Exhaust Fluid. The urea scrubs nitrogen oxide out of the diesel exhaust and helps with emissions. DEF is not $20 a gallon and is only about $3 a gallon. It is at every gas station that sells diesel and larger truck stops have dedicated pumps as OTR trucks have DEF tanks these days.

How new of a truck are you wanting? The 6.4L Ford is doing great with people taking the DPF off the exhaust system and getting 21+ mpg highway, this is the engine that came out in 2008. The DPF is the diesel particulate filter and was the initial cause of the 6.4L engine throwing flames out the exhaust tailpipe. The duramax is still a great truck and Chevy is the only one that hasn't changed engines in a few years (like Ford was with the 7.3L). Dodge, I still rather the 5.9L 6BT over the newer engine.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero

Return to “General Discussion Forum”