Is it Normal

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Long Cut
Veteran

Is it Normal

Postby Long Cut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Chuckle12's post on his old dog's last hunt made me think about this. Is it normal for any of yall with old dogs or that have recently lost dogs to lose your drive for duck hunting as the dogs age or pass away? My 12 year old , Tex made 1 hunt this year and I just cant bring myself to enjoy hunting without him. I have duck hunted 20 years but he is my first dog and it just doesn't seem the same. Any comments/grief counseling is welcome. I can't get a new pup until Tex dies as I tried buying a british lab a few years ago to bring along slowly to replace tex and that just didn't work out now I have a high dollar biscuit eater in the other kennel that my wife reminds me of often.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Re: Is it Normal

Postby Hambone » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Every hunter has his own idea on this subject and none are wrong. We have always kept two, and most of the time, three retrievers of varying age in our lineup. While losing an old warrior is never easy, it helps the healing to have another one or two still with us. You might see if you can find that high dollar biscuit eater a new home and start fresh with another dog.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 pm

yep I have seen it. Am seeing it right now as a matter of fact.

My bro has all but given it up after he had a REAL bad run with several dogs and is now without a retriever!
cantgetright

Postby cantgetright » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm

my black lab used to be a great duck dog bust his butt after every duck..now that hes gotten old he dont even wanna fetch anything..it happens i guess
claimsadj
Veteran

Postby claimsadj » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 pm

After hunting my first dog this year, I will not be going back without him often. It's an extra thing to think about when hunting, but it isin't the same without him there. I enjoy watching his drive put to use as much as shooting ducks. I would explain to your wife that your getting another dog, and you would appreciate her taking a part in training it. Just be sure and buy some from good lines, don't need 2 biscuit eaters.
QuacknStrut
Regular

Postby QuacknStrut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:08 pm

A friend of mine warned me it takes 3 years to have a really good dog and said I had better start thinking about it as my first Lab got older. I took her advice and ended up with a great #2. I took it again when #2 was an old man and #3 ended up dying young. Took a while for me to get #4 as #3 broke my heart. #4 is showing signs and retrieved his first birds this year (snows)-he is a nephew to #3 and a great great great nephew to #2. It just ain't the same for me without a dog and I am too ate up with duck hunting to stop. My counsel (and I do this professionally-no kidding) would be to never ever think about your new dog as a replacement. He/she is a new friend to share your days afield with. #1 was Black male, #2 yellow male, #3 Black female, #4 black male. Each different and each their own personality. You have more than one friend, so why not more than one dog? I would not recommend more than one wife though! :mrgreen: More expensive than a kennel full of dogs.

I want my dog to be a pal and a hunting dog. So I pick hard for traits important to me. The retrieving, while their job, is icing on the cake. It is also really nice when the new dog is not getting it to let them sit in the kennel and watch the old pro go at it and have fun. Makes the drive go up on the noobie. "Okay Dad, you are the boss and I want to do it your way and have fun too like the Old Man is doing" has worked for me over the years.

Tex will never be replaced, ever and you should not feel guilty about that.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Good post Quack
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for the all the responses much appreciated
jdaves
Veteran

Postby jdaves » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Mine is 12 and I fear that he probably picked up his last bird on January 29th. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going through it too.
5keepers
Regular

Postby 5keepers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Mine just finished 7th season...towards the end I started thinking about going without him...makes me want to quit. He lives in the house and goes everywhere I go be it fishing or grocery shopping. He harasses my wife and 8 year old boxer. He and my two year old daughter battle it out for crackers and goldfish. He loves to hunt and and has brought back ducks I had no business sending him to get. I almost lost him when his vest got hung on a lay down in a cypress brake...very freaky. I know he will never be replaced I just hope I can find it in me to grow up again with another dog.
QuacknStrut
Regular

Postby QuacknStrut » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Guys, I counsel my clients a lot about this. A dog is a tragedy in the making and I hope every one of ya'll that read this outlive your next dog. I always say a good dog should live 60 years, but they don't. I know it is a heartache and I have them just the same as my clients do, I love my pets just the same and heck, I even love a lot of theirs. I just can't imagine not having them around as my friend.
benelli870
Regular

Postby benelli870 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Guys for me I almost did not finish the year, its been very hard, we had to put my 9year old lab Drake down with kideny failure,mid NOVEMBER, he made his last retrive to hand on beaver lake , lucky we took pics that day, and my buddy that killed the drake Mallard is mounting the duck in Drakes honor, I had him cremated and he is on top of my bookcase with his collar on top of the ceader box, its been very tough on me as well as my wife, we both miss the little things , didnt matter the day are the weather I would open my door and tell him go get my paper , down the driveway across the front yard he would pick it up and usually go to the third tree with the paper in his mouth take a leak and finish his busnies and bring it back to me,its like he knew what I was thinking before I would even cast him, we have another dog coming in MARCH , probably be ready somtime in MAY, I know that I will never have another Drake but thats OK!!! I tell you all this to say , those of you all that have these wonderful dogs, know what I am saying LABS are very special dogs, enjoy your time with them rellish it, cause it does not last forever, as some of us know.
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Puppy breath is strong medicine!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
Bamawebfoot
Veteran

Postby Bamawebfoot » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Don't be like me, I waited almost three years between dogs. I hunted with friends and their dogs some, but it just was not the same. I have a good one now that I can't compare to the other ones I've had because each is different, but he's my buddy and dread the day he gets old, but after doing this twice already, I know I will always have a Lab. It just sucks to go without one.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”