Ruger LCP question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Ruger LCP question

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Who has one or has shot one. How heavy is the trigger pull on them and is it suitable for a woman. My wife is very petite. I am thinking of getting her one for her birthday to have in her purse. If you have one would you reccomend it or not. Thanks.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Ruger LCP question

Postby cwink » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:23 am

I can't speak or the LCP.. But check out the Bersa Thunder 380. That little gun is sweet and probably a little cheaper than the LCP
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:16 am

.380?????

My wife carries a .45.................you know why, cause they dont make a .46............she may not hit them but dammit they gonna know shes there and she aint playin
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
fieldt76
Veteran

Postby fieldt76 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 am

chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 am

I have one, dad has one, my brother in law has one, dad got 2 of 3 sisters one and will get the third sister one when she turns 21. Not to mention the five or six friends that have them (if not more than that).

Pro's: small, discreet gun you can conceal regardless of your attire. Seem to be pretty reliable after the recall issue was corrected. Fairly inexpensive. Safe for pocket carry due to long trigger pull. 7 round capacity over my j-frame smith and wesson's 5 rounds.

Con's: .380 is considered a marginal caliber for self defense. Sights are awful (I have a crimson trace unit on mine and would highly recommend them). Recall issues on early model guns if you buy used. .380 ammo goes through hard to find stages. Recoil can be stout but its manageable. My little sister shot about 100 rounds through mine one day last month and she is relatively new to shooting pistols.

I have a lot of guns but the little lcp is usually in my back pocket. It is just so easy to slip it in a pocket and not have to worry about printing or dressing around a larger caliber gun. The caliber is plenty adequate to stop a threat, a lot of folks have been killed over the years with .25 acp saturday night specials.

With all that said, she needs to shoot one before you buy one. If you want to run over to Greenwood she is welcome to try out the lcp and a .38 smith and wesson airweight that would both be great choices for her.
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:12 pm

I like the lcp but I got the S&W Bodyguard because it comes with the built in laser. The trigger pull is tough on it tho.
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Casie I got one she can try out. Ruger LCP 380
Rusty Parsons
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:35 am

River does make a 9mm in the same line as the LCP.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

fivemile
Veteran

Postby fivemile » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:03 pm

I am thinking about buying the LCP, but concerned about jams. That would be a heck of a note if you had a jam just when you needed it to work. What's the jam verdict on the LCP?
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Bought one this afternoon, squeezed of 6 quick rounds with no worries.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:10 pm

I have at least 500 rounds through my LCP if not more. I did figure out my gun would not function reliably with the pinky extensions on the magazines. I was torqueing down and causing unreliable feeding. Simple solution for me was to go back to the regular magazine bases.

I am as confident in my LCP as I am my J frame Smith revolver.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Do a fluff and buff with a dremel tool on the slide, barrel bullet ramp and trigger assembly. Do a Google and you will find it. Basically you are doing the break in with a dremel tool. I did it with my Kel Tec and it works well.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:15 am

Love my pf9! With the belt clip attached it's the cats meow. And 9 mm don't play out of the little gun
WeBeJeepin
Veteran

Postby WeBeJeepin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:29 pm

I have had my LCP in my back pocket for over a year and i feel very confident in it. I keep it in my back pocket in a wallet holster and I never notice it back there. I take it out every so often and fire it just to make sure everything is OK. One time it would not fully eject after each round, but I found it was due to lint buildup from being in my back pocket. Now I take it apart and clean it occasionally and haven't had any more problems. Here is a link to the shoot-thru wallet holster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-RUGER-LCP-CCW-B ... 45fa0ab0f8

Return to “General Discussion Forum”