Question about motor vehicle law?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bjjohnson
Regular

Question about motor vehicle law?

Postby bjjohnson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:10 pm

I have a golf cart that has seat belts, mirrows, blinkers, headlights and tail lights. It has been inspected by the Highway Patrol office in Starkville and approved and has been tagged. I recently got pulled over by an officer at Mississippi State and received a ticket because he said it was not street legal......He also said that you can't get a golf cart tagged and that someone had been giving out tags at the DMV illegally. Is there anyone that knows the laws regarding street legal vehicles that can shed some light on this subject?????? Thanks in advance.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: Question about motor vehicle law?

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:22 pm

If you can get an inspection sticker, it is street legal, period.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm

campus cops. nothing better to do i guess. fight it. no way it'll stick. then mail a copy of the cancelled ticket to the officer with a note.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:33 am

If it has all the criteria you mentioned......it is street legal. They do this to them in Florida all the time and neighborhoods around here. If the DMV tagged it......the MSU guy doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the tag was given to you in error.......if you had a tag for that particular vehicle at the time of the incident (you went through the procedures to fulfill your legal obligation)......go show the judge and he'll tear that one up. I've had this exact conversation before when I thought about doing it to a cart......had it with HP and local Police.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:39 am

They put up those signs 2 weeks ago. Used to be able to go all over town in a cart on game day. I think it's just another way to get $. Those pole smokers on campus get more creative every year to separate you from your dollas. Next year they will probably have some kind of $15 permit or something and then it will be fine...
Where'd who go?
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:06 am

Peewee
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:40 am

Nobody owes you anything.
RobertM
Veteran

Postby RobertM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Smoke68 has a good idea. Along with the copy of the cancelled ticket, send him a picture of a real police officer.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”